<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Digital Dish copyright 2005 Press For Change Publishing LLC
Digital Dish is the first ever compilation of the best writing from food blogs. Find out more at Press For Change and place an order!

 

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner



The Meatrix I'm not a vegetarian but I dislike factory farming and I support small, family farms.

 

Tomatilla! Feed


Thursday, August 21, 2003

Last night on the way home, speeding along under the darkening skies over the bay, I was listening to a bunch of woman singers and got to Charlotte Church and a Welsh male choir singing 'Men of Harlech' and it made me start to think about national identity and sports and in particular the way that sports in Europe and South America are more fun to watch just because of the singing. Americans don't understand this, but I still get a little chill from remembering going to see England v Wales at Twickenham and hearing tens of thousands of Welsh fans singing 'Men of Harlech' before the game. I'd go to a Wales game anytime just to repeat that. And in England and Europe, being a soccer fan is half about the singing. It is hard to understand the words, but songs and chants come and go as players come and go and you taunt the opposing team and fans by singing at them. This morning, on the drive in, the continuation of this thought led to the realization that I am coaching the kids' soccer team again starting in a week. I'd better get ready...
Comments: Post a Comment