<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Digital Dish copyright 2005 Press For Change Publishing LLC
Digital Dish is the first ever compilation of the best writing from food blogs. Find out more at Press For Change and place an order!

 

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner



The Meatrix I'm not a vegetarian but I dislike factory farming and I support small, family farms.

 

Tomatilla! Feed


Monday, November 03, 2003

The opportunities in pasteurized egg whites 
So in the midst of all our usual weekend insanity (soccer, birthday parties, novel writing, work around the house, etc.) we also had some friends come to dinner. I made a nice pilaf from the rice cooker cookbook that is a companion to the excellent bread machine cookbook and we had lamb sausages (they brought them) grilled and then quickly warmed in a tomato red pepper sauce. Plus a salad and kale and pan fried butternut and delicata squash.

Blackcurrant rum froth


Then for dessert I made something I remembered from the dim and distant past. I beat the pasteurized egg whites (no Salmonella so OK to eat raw!) with sugar and blackcurrant syrup. Kids had that and then I added in some rum for adults. Light, airy, fluffy and delicious (and simple). There was a lot left over - I made eight eggs worth and should have made four at most - so I beat in a bit more sugar and baked the left overs at 250 degrees for two hours to make meringues. All very satisfactory.
Comments: Post a Comment