<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Digital Dish copyright 2005 Press For Change Publishing LLC
Digital Dish is the first ever compilation of the best writing from food blogs. Find out more at Press For Change and place an order!

 

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner



The Meatrix I'm not a vegetarian but I dislike factory farming and I support small, family farms.

 

Tomatilla! Feed


Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Another design note and wherefore art thou Tomatilla? 
I will probably tinker with colors and I am definitely going to add some other things in both the left and right columns. I will probably slowly try to add some photography as well. But I am happy with the three column grid and the way it scales nicely as you change the window size. I also have a basic header and footer, so that makes a pretty basic publishing grid and I'm going to stick with that.

I personally like the green orange and gray color scheme but that too may evolve over time.

I don't think I ever wrote about why this is called Tomatilla. Basically it comes from the very first recipe that I came up with that I thought worthy of giving to other people and which other people actually asked me for, thus at least partially confirming the first part.

Tomatilla Salsa


The recipe was for a tomatilla salsa made with fresh tomatillas, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, fresh green chillies, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Proportions didn't matter that much as long as you used at least a bunch of cilantro, half a head of garlic and at least one green chilli, plus plenty of tomato and tomatilla. The real secret was and is in how to chop it. You can't use a food processor or a blender - you get too much liquid. The best way is by hand but it is a lot of work - you can't let it be too coarse either. I had a little chopper that went with one of those electric stick blenders. It didn't hold a lot, but if I very roughly chopped up the ingredients and did them in batches in that they came out perfectly. Alas the stick blender died and salsa hasn't been quite the same since.

Comments: Post a Comment