<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Digital Dish copyright 2005 Press For Change Publishing LLC
Digital Dish is the first ever compilation of the best writing from food blogs. Find out more at Press For Change and place an order!

 

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner



The Meatrix I'm not a vegetarian but I dislike factory farming and I support small, family farms.

 

Tomatilla! Feed


Thursday, May 06, 2004

Fava bean hummus 
In common with other food bloggers, I have been getting fava beans lately in my box of organic veggies.

I actually have saved them up for a couple of weeks since I wanted to make a large batch of fava bean hummus for our party. This is what I mostly do with the beans when I am not just cooking them for dinner plain.

Photo of Fava Bean Hummus copyright 2004 Owen Linderholm

Fava Bean Hummus



Shell about three pounds of fava beans. This should leave you with a couple of cups of actual beans. Boil them for about twenty minutes in water and then rapidly cool with cold water. Peel all the larger ones (anything bigger than about 1/2 inch in the longest dimension) by squeezing one end hard and popping the bean out of the skin. Smaller ones can be left whole. Puree in a blender with a head of green garlic, half a cup of olive oil, half a cup of lemon juice and about half a cup of sesame tahini. Add salt to taste and serve with bread or crudites.