<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Digital Dish copyright 2005 Press For Change Publishing LLC
Digital Dish is the first ever compilation of the best writing from food blogs. Find out more at Press For Change and place an order!

 

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner



The Meatrix I'm not a vegetarian but I dislike factory farming and I support small, family farms.

 

Tomatilla! Feed


Monday, June 21, 2004

IMBB Number 5: Fish Edition 
Wow, these events are coming thick and fast! It seems like just a few days ago that it was rice we were covering. Now this time around it is fish - and I am caught unprepared (ie I didn't go scouting around for a lovely piece of fresh fish worthy of this wonderful occasion). So I am falling back on an old standby. No picture but I will try to put one up as soon as I can.

I am going to tell you how to make a simple but delightful smoked trout pate that is easy, quick, can be used for a quick snack or just as well for an appetizer for a fancy dinner party. You can accessorize at will with things like sliced red bell pepper, watercress, lemon slices, spring onion, etc.

Horseradish Smoked Trout Pate



You'll need one piece of smoked trout - a little (say 4oz) goes a long way - and some plain yoghurt, a little pepper and salt and lemon and horseradish (fresh grated or better sauce or cream in a bottle).

You can use fresh or tinned smoked trout. I prefer fresh but it is harder to find and keep, whereas I can get tinned easily and cheaply. Drain any extra liquid off the tinned kind. Then put it in a bowl, removing any skin if there is any. Add two heaped tablespoons of yoghurt and a grind of black pepper, two pinches of salt, a squeeze of lemon. Now mash it all together with a fork. Once it is basically smooth you are done. You may need to add a little more yoghurt to make it more spreadable. Now you can add the horseradish if you want (it is good without it too). I usually add about half a teaspoon of creamed horseradish but you will develop your own taste for how much to add.

Spread the result on toast, crackers, slices of pepper, or anything else you like. I really like it on toasted pieces of french bread with a little watercress garnish on top.
Comments: Post a Comment