<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Digital Dish copyright 2005 Press For Change Publishing LLC
Digital Dish is the first ever compilation of the best writing from food blogs. Find out more at Press For Change and place an order!

 

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner



The Meatrix I'm not a vegetarian but I dislike factory farming and I support small, family farms.

 

Tomatilla! Feed


Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Pickle Potato Salad 
Whew! I'm pretty busy at the moment. We are going on vacation in a few days and I also now have a fair amount of consulting work and I have to put the last finishing touches (connectors to the drain system) on the gutters and add a seat belt to our camper van. Plus there are innumerable small chores and I am still job hunting. So it isn't surprising that I haven't done much blogging or cooking for that matter.

We also have lots and lots of peaches from the tree - about sixty this year - so we've been eating a lot of those.

But I did find time to make a potato salad for the girls the other day that I was very pleased with.

Pickle Potato Salad


I'd heard about people making potato salad with bread-and-butter pickles before but I don't really like those - they are too sweet for me. So I went with our favorite half sour kosher dills. First I gently boiled two pounds of russian red fingerling potatoes until just cooked through. I had cut them into bite sized chunks which meant mostly half a potato but sometimes a whole potato and sometimes quarters.

I let the potatoes cool in cold water after I drained them while I made the rest of the salad. I coarsely chopped half a bunch of watercress and threw it in a large bowl. Then I added six smallish half-sour kosher dills that I had sliced into pieces about a quarter of an inch thick. Then I added a quarter cup of the pickle juice and a quarter cup of mayonnaise and half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of ground black pepper (most people will like a lot less like a couple of grinds from the grinder). I finely sliced half a bunch of spring onions and added them too. Then I added the cold and drained potatoes and stirred thoroughly to coat them with the rest of the salad. It was really very, very good. I might add a little honey mustard next time for a variation.

The kids liked it too and we ate it with corn on the cob (which I had cooked with the potatoes) and a little bacon (which could have gone into the salad too but for our vegetarian diner).
Comments: Post a Comment